The scriptures are the word of God with authority and when obeyed, has the power to transform us from the inside out. Paul is thankful that the scripture were received and accepted and obeyed by the Thessalonians.
Three important words to our maturity as believers:
- What stood out to you from the weekend sermon?
- Read 1 Thessalonians 2:13-14. Read it again but translate it into your own words.
- What’s the difference between the words “Receive” and “Accept”? Why are they important?
- How do you view the Bible?
- As the word of God with authority?
- A book of suggestions?
- A buffet line in a cafeteria where you pick and choose?
- What effect does the Word of God have on us if we believe it to be true and not just from humans?
- Comment on the idea that the word of God is like a mirror that reveals what we truly are but sometimes make us uncomfortable so we pick and choose what of scripture we will receive.
- Read Matthew 13:1-8. What soil best describes you?
- What do you want God (the Farmer) to do in your heart so you can bear fruit?
- Read Matthew 7:24-27. Jesus talks about the importance of the foundation in this. Parable? According to the text, what is the rock or the sand and why is it important?