In John 14, Jesus is at the end of His earthly ministry and is preparing His disciples to carry the message of salvation throughout the entire world. As He prepares to go to the cross and eventually leave the earth He wanted His disciples to know that just as He gave them comfort in life, the Holy Spirit would be coming to bring that same peace and comfort.
People today spend lots of money on vacations, trips to the spa, and any number of things to help them relax. All these things are good and can help out with stress. But God provided His children with the ultimate stress buster. God sent His son Jesus to the earth to minister to people and to take away their sin at the cross. Jesus was a great comfort to people, but He could only be in so many places at any given time. When God sent the Holy Spirit on the day of Pentecost, He provided a 24/7 source of comfort and peace for every believer. You will help remind your students of this wonderful gift that’s inside of them and ready to help at any time. So this week we’ll talk about this peace, what it looks like in a believer’s life and what can get in the way of experiencing it.
- What do you think Jesus meant when He promised to leave us His peace?
- What does Jesus’ peace look like? Feel like?
- Read Colossians 3:15. To what extent should we have peace in our lives? Why do you think Pauls says to let it “rule” in our lives?
- Does having Jesus’ peace mean we’ll never have troubles? Why or why not?
- What can disturb the peace that God gives us? Is there an area in your life where your peace is disturbed? Is there an area in your life where your peace is gone? What do you need to do to have God’s peace ruling in those areas?
- Is it difficult for you to believe that peace with God is possible? Why or why not?
- What is something that stands in the way of your peace with God? What is one thing you can do this week to begin to surrender that area of your life? What can this group do to support you?
Peace with God is possible because God has made peace with you. Your heavenly Father is looking for you whether or not you are looking for him. Why refuse God’s offer of peace? You can experience that peace when you stop resisting and striving, and begin to surrender. Peace with God begins by faith in Christ. Peace with God is sustained by submission to Christ.