John 1:19-34 – John the Baptist
John 8:31-37 – The Pharisees
How should we respond to Jesus? That’s the question Randy asked this weekend. He answered the question by contrasting John the Baptist with the Pharisees. John the Baptist endorsed Jesus as the chosen One of God while the Pharisees, on the other hand, resisted Jesus and probed, questioned and challenged Him, with the intent of undermining His ministry.
- What stood out to you from Randy’s message?
- When John the Baptist sees Jesus coming toward him what is his message concerning Jesus?
What would the average Israelite think when John called Jesus the “Lamb of God”?
Was John being intentional about the life and purpose of Jesus by calling him the “Lamb of God”?
- Read John 3:30. How can we make Jesus greater and our lives lesser?
- Why did the Pharisees resist Jesus?
Why was there no room in their hearts for Jesus?
- The Pharisees added rules for keeping the Sabbath and their rules influence their opinion of Jesus. What does this tell us about how religion can get things, and Jesus, wrong?
- Read Luke 12:1-3. What is Jesus’ point? How does the image of yeast make his point?
Is it possible for you to slip into being a Pharisee? How?
- In Matthew 16:15-17 Jesus turns to Peter and asks the greatest question of life, “Who do you say that I am?”
Peter makes a response that echoes the thoughts of the other disciple: “You are the Christ, the son of the living God.”
- What is your answer to the question, “Who do you say that I am?”
What kind of response does that make in your lives, your thoughts and your behavior?